The ASE Council on Perioperative Echocardiography (COPE) is dedicated to representing and advancing quality in perioperative ultrasound imaging.
The Council’s objectives include:
- To provide a forum for members with similar interests
- Provide educational offerings for perioperative imaging, including guidance to the Scientific Sessions Program Committee
- Provide guidance on standards of care related to the field
- Quarterly article in JASE (these are available to the public; the most recent column is available here.)
- Guideline documents and white papers
- Educational track at ASE Scientific Sessions
- Advocacy efforts related to perioperative echocardiography practice
- COPE community on Connect@ASE
- Bi-monthly message from chair
- Resource library
- Allows members to discuss issues and network
In June 2013, Dr. Jack Shanewise became the first recipient of the Outstanding Achievement in Perioperative Echocardiography Award. This award will be presented annually at the ASE Scientific Sessions. Members should watch the chairman’s message on Connect@ASE for the call for nominations!
COPE Travel Grants:
- Sponsor trainees and physician students to attend Scientific Sessions
- Requires letter of recommendation, CV and personal statement
- Receives stipend toward registration/travel expenses
- Applications are accepted in January for the following ASE Scientific Sessions. Those interested in applying should contact Cathy Kerr (email@example.com) for more information.
- This year’s recipients are Halyna Prylutska, MD, Montreal University, Quebec, Canada and Karen Zimmerman, BS, RCDS (AE, PE), RVT, Munson Medical Center, Traverse City, MI
Participating in the Council on Perioperative Echocardiography:
Membership in ASE’s councils is a complimentary member benefit. You can join one or more subspecialty councils of interest to you by checking the relevant boxes on your membership application or by selecting them in your online membership profile.
Most of the information about council activities, announcements, discussion boards and volunteer opportunities are available in the council’s community on Connect@ASE, ASE’s online networking site. This site is an ASE member benefit, and allows council members the opportunity to network, discuss issues, be aware of deadlines for travel grants and volunteer opportunities, and be in the know about council initiatives, concerns and news. Members can opt for daily or weekly digests of news related to the council communities in which they chose to participate. Simply opt to join the communities of interest to you by clicking on the “communities” tab on your Connect@ASE homepage.
Council on Perioperative Echocardiography Leadership:
Chair: Madhav Swaminathan, MD, FASE
Vice Chair: Roman Sniecinski, MD, FASE
Vice Chair-Elect: Alan Finley, MD
Immediate Past Chair: Scott Reeves, MD, FASE
Surgical Representative: Jennifer Walker, MD
Sonographer Representative: Karen Zimmerman, BS, RDCS (AE, PE), RVT
Members at Large: Feroze Mahmood, MD; Douglas Shook, MD, FASE; Mary Beth Brady, MD, FASE; Rebecca Hahn, MD, FASE; Sasha Shillcut, MD, FASE; Mark Taylor, MD, FASE