The ASE Council on Vascular Ultrasound was founded in 2007 and is dedicated to representing and advancing quality in vascular ultrasound imaging.
-To provide a forum for members with similar interests
-To provide educational offerings for vascular imaging, including guidance to Scientific Sessions Program Committee
-To provide guidance on standards of care related to the vascular field
Vascular Council Activities
- Quarterly article in JASE (these are available to the public; the most recent column is available here: http://www.onlinejase.com/article/S0894-7317%2813%2900172-7/fulltext)
- Guideline documents and white papers
- Targeted track at ASE Scientific Sessions instructing how to perform vascular ultrasound, review clinical cases, and understand risk assessment in the practice of primary prevention
- Advocacy efforts related to vascular ultrasound practice
- Vascular community on Connect@ASE
- Bi-monthly message from chair
- Resource library
- Allows members to discuss issues and network
- Forum for news and announcements about ASE and vascular ultrasound
Vascular Travel Grants:
- $1000 stipend toward registration and travel expenses for trainees and physician students to attend Scientific Sessions
- Requires letter of recommendation, CV, personal statement Requires submission of a brief vascular ultrasound case study for presentation at the council business meeting and potential publication on the Vascular Council Connect Community
- Made possible by ASE Foundation Annual Appeal
- Applications are accepted in January for the following ASE Scientific Sessions. Those interested in applying should contact Cathy Kerr (email@example.com) for more information.
- This year’s recipients are:
- Katerina D. Exis, RDCS, RVT, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, MD
- Brooke Harland, MEd, RDCS, RVT, Baptist Health Lexington, Lexington, KY
- Anyi Liu, RDMS, RDCS, RVT, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, who presented her case at the council business meeting
Vascular Abstract Award given to best vascular abstract at the Scientific Sessions
This year, 11 abstracts were accepted in the Vascular Disease category. One was selected as a finalist in this year’s Young Investigator’s Award Competition. Dr. Shahryar Chowdhury presented his work “Differences in Lean Body Mass May Explain the Racial Disparities Seen in Carotid Intima-Media Thickness in Obese Children” at the conference and was selected as the 2013 Vascular Abstract Winner. Congratulations to Shahryar M. Chowdhury, Melissa Henshaw, Brad Friedman, Janet Carter, Bryana Levitan, Tom Hulsey of the Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston.
Participating in the Council on Vascular Ultrasound:
Membership in ASE’s councils is a complimentary member benefit. You can join one or more subspecialty councils of interest to you by checking the relevant boxes on your membership application or by selecting them in your online membership profile.
Most of the information about council activities, announcements, discussion boards and volunteer opportunities are available in the council’s community on Connect@ASE, ASE’s online networking site. This site is an ASE member benefit, and allows council members the opportunity to network, discuss issues, be aware of deadlines for travel grants and volunteer opportunities, and be in the know about council initiatives, concerns and news. Members can opt for daily or weekly digests of news related to the council communities in which they chose to participate. Simply opt to join the communities of interest to you by clicking on the “communities” tab on your Connect@ASE homepage.
Council on Vascular Ultrasound Leadership:
Chair: Naomi Hamburg, MD
Chair-elect: Soo H. Kim, MD, MPH, RPVI
Immediate Past Chair: Vijay Nambi, MD, FASE
Members at large: Veerendra Chadachan, MD; Fadi Shamoun, MD; Rene Quiroz, MD; Amer Johri, MD, FASE; Taseem Naqvi, MD
Sonographer Representatives: Susana Perese, RVT, FASE; Kathleen M. Garcia, BS, RVT, RDCS, FASE; Anyi Liu, RDCS, RVT, RDMS